Friday, October 14, 2011

The wall in your head

I have done a lot of recent reading, research and discussions about personal motivation and accomplishing your goals. For a long time I felt that I was not able to accomplish a lot of things that I wanted to. There always seemed to be something either preventing me or causing me not to take action. It was hard to explain, but at the same time very frustrating. I wasn't really aware that something was preventing me, but I just felt that other people had all the luck and I was never given the opportunities to show my true talents. Then something changed. I don't know what it was and I don't know how it happened. That change has led me to dedicating my time to write this blog, go back to school for Masters Degree in Clinical Psychology and set new goals of writing a book around my concepts of life tactics. Looking back and being much more aware of life, we seem to have a wall that we create for ourselves in our mind that prevents us from accomplishing these goals.
The wall in your head is the invisible force that stops you from making changes, prevents you from taking action, and causes you to doubt yourself.  I have learned that what happened to me was a process of becoming more aware, more conscious and determined to smash the wall.  The process began admitting to myself that I wanted a different future. 

Because you cannot get through this wall, you wallow in the thoughts of, “nothing good ever happens to me”, or “I never get a lucky break like everyone else”. These thoughts do nothing for us except continue the vicious cycle of banging her head against this wall, never breaking through it. So the next question is, what's the secret? The truth is there is no secret; the ability to break through the wall in your head and live a more inspired life is different for everyone. In my opinion the first step is simply becoming aware of the wall, realizing it's there and acknowledging to yourself you're not doing the right things to not only get through the wall, but also knock it down, never again preventing you from unbelievable accomplishments. Stepping back, becoming aware and more present and conscious with yourself is a good place to start. If you're struggling with this concept, believe me it's not easy. One of the places I can direct you to his reading both of Eckert Tolle’s books, The Power of Now, and A New Earth. This is heavy-duty reading that you might not be ready for. Give it a try and if you feel like the concepts are too abstract take some time to really evaluate what your goals are and what tactics you can put in place to get there and try again after some personal reflection, and maybe some time with a good therapist. On the active listening topic my next posts will be moving on to mirroring and reflecting. Have a great weekend!